You are about to embark upon a 3-day highlight reel of desert moonscapes, sprawling glaciers, hot springs, world-class whitewater, remote mountain cabins, and gourmet riverside cuisine, all from the heart of north Iceland's most pristine and otherwise inaccessible wilderness. Set sail where few expeditions have been before, in a committing self-support conquest of Iceland's most challenging rafting river! This adventure begins with a rugged drive into the Sprengisandur desert towards the source of the legendary East Glacial River (Jökulsá-Austari) river at the foot of the mighty Hofsjökull glacier. Somewhere in the vast expanses of this arctic desert, a cluster of secluded cabins around a thermal oasis provides us shelter on our first night, and it is from here that we plunge into our committing 2-day descent of Iceland's best rafting river. In these two days, we navigate the full 55km of the East Glacial River through its twisting valleys and canyons, facing an ever-evolving blend of heart-pumping whitewater, breathtaking scenery, and wilderness solitude. The trip wraps up on the third evening at our rafting base at Hafgrímsstaðir with a celebration of our achievements, barbecue feast, and a farewell fiesta with your guides and fellow rafters!
Please note that the cancellation policy differs from that of our day trips. This trip is 80% refundable up until 30 days prior to the trip, 50% refundable up until 15 days beforehand, and non-refundable after that.
– All rafting equipment: drysuit, PFD, helmet, booties, gloves
– Qualified, professional raft guides and safety kayakers
– Transportation into the highlands & to and from the river
– 2 nights accommodation in backcountry lodges
– All meals/snacks from lunch on Day 1 to dinner on Day 3
– Iceland's ultimate rafting adventure!
What do I need to bring?
Note: detailed packing list will be provided in a full information package provided at the time of booking.
– 1 set of river clothing (warm, lightweight, layered clothing of fleece, wool, or synthetic materials– NO COTTON. We reccommend a set of thermal underwear/base layers, warm fleece top & pants, and thick wool/hiking socks.)
– 1 set of hut clothing: warm and comfortable, waterproof/windproof jacket, footwear for walking around camp.
– 3 pairs of extra socks
– Sleeping bag
– Personal hygiene kit, toiletries
– Any necessary medications (asthma inhaler, EpiPen, etc.)
– Swimsuit and towel for thermal pools
– Camera (optional but recommended)
– Thirst for adventure & sense of humour!