Join us while we snorkel in blue water between tectonic plates! This tour is ideal for those who have their own transport, and want to meet us on location.
Trip difficulty: 3/5, moderate.
Tour Highlights: Þingvellir National Park (Thingvellir National Park), Silfra Fissure, Snorkeling, North American and Eurasian tectonic plates.
- On Location Time: If you prefer to meet us on location you need to be at the Silfra car park 15 minutes prior to your tour start. The meeting point is in the parking lot by Silfra. When driving from Reykjavík on road 36 you will first see a Visitor Centre and viewpoint for Þingvellir on your right hand side keep on going and drive further for 5-10 min on road 36 and you will see the Information Centre on your left hand, take a turn to right towards the national park area. Drive forward for 3-4 minutes until you see the parking lot on the right side and vehicles marked with Arctic Adventures logos.
- Wear glasses? You will be wearing a snorkeling mask while in the water and you won’t be able to wear your glasses underneath. So unless you are bringing your own prescription mask we recommend that you acquire contact lenses for your snorkeling tour
- What is snorkeling? Participants swim in specially made dry suits through the crystal clear water. We breath through snorkels to have an unobstructed view of the landscape beneath the water level.
On this tour you will be snorkeling between the tectonic plates of Europe and America in the clearest water in the world.
Silfra is located in Thingvellir National Park, and its water runs from the Langjökull glacier located 50 kilometers away, being filtered through lava for 100-200 years!
The visibility at Silfra is astounding, reaching up to 150 meters.
You will get the chance to relax as you comfortably drift through the fissure. You will be wearing a dry suit that will keep you warm and will allow you to take your Icelandic geology exploration to the next level.
Disclaimer: All snorkeling trips are undertaken on the responsibility of its participants. Arctic Adventures does not assume any responsibility for accidents which are caused by its customers or can be traced to there own actions. Participants have to sign a waiver before undertaking all trips stating that they realize that all outdoor activities carry an inherent risk.
- Certified PADI Dive guide/Dive master.
- All necessary snorkeling gear; including a specially made suit to keep you warm and dry in the glacier water.
Warm undergarment clothing (fleece/wool sweater and pants), warm wool socks and a change of clothing (just in case).
All participants are required to read our Snorkeling Handbook prior to participation in the tour. In the handbook you will find important information about medical conditions and requirements.